Re: [lvs-users] LinuxWorld Expo

To: Aaron McKee <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LinuxWorld Expo
Cc: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nick Christopher <nwc@xxxxxxx>, lvs <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Goebel <jgoebel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:12:52 -0500
On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 10:42:09AM -0800, Aaron McKee wrote:
> Internally, we've achieved 20,000 connections/s using our routing
> software. The configuration was 2 Celeron-based servers and 2
> Celeron-based clients. Additionally, we were using a stock untuned Linux
> 2.2.13 kernel. In our benchmark, the most significant bottleneck we
> identified was the Linux kernel itself.
>
> The individuals I spoke with at VA Linux claimed 50,000 connections/s.
> If the above configuration setup refers to this value, it looks like 16
> real servers were required to generate this traffic. As VA makes
> top-notch excellent hardware, I suspect they were using higher end
> servers than our small Celeron systems. The VA engineers also mentioned
> that they were using a modified 2.2 or 2.3 kernel, with improved TCP/IP
> performance characteristics.

FYI: The va cluster consisted of 16 real servers and a pair
of Linux Directors in a hot-standby configuration. From memory,
each server was a 550MHz PIII with 1Gb of RAM (I don't build 'em
I just use 'em :). The Linux Directors were connected to
the ethernet switch on gigabit/s ports while the real servers
were connected via 100Mbit/s ports. I'm not sure where
the 50,000 connections/s figure came from as I wasn't at
the show.

--
Horms