[lvs-users] mon/ldirectord service monitoring improvements?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] mon/ldirectord service monitoring improvements?
From: Doug Bagley <doug@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Feb 2000 09:00:59 -0600
Looking at mon and ldirectord, I wonder what kind of work is planned
for future service level monitoring?

mon is okay for general purposes, but it forks/execs each monitor
process, if you have 100 real services and want to check every 10
seconds, you would fork 10 monitor processes per second.  This is
not entirely untenable, but why not make an effort to make the
monitoring process as lightweight as possible (since it is running
on the director, which is such an important host)?

ldirectord, uses the perl LWP library, which is better than forking,
but it is still slow.  It also issues requests serially (because LWP
doesn't really make parallel requests easy).

I wrote a very simple http monitor last night in perl that uses
non-blocking I/O, and processes all requests in parallel using
select().  It also doesn't require any CPAN libraries, so installation
should be trivial.  Once it is prototyped in perl, conversion to C
should be straightforward.  In fact, it is pretty similar to the
Apache benchmark program (ab).

In order for the monitor (like ldirectord) to do management of the
ipvs kernel information, it would be easier if the /proc interface to
ipvs gave a more machine readable format.  I saw a previous post in
the archives about using XML format, but I'm not particularly fond of
XML unless it is used for data import/export to other applications.

Cheers,
Doug