Re: LVS-Tun Benchmarking

To: Drew Streib <ds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS-Tun Benchmarking
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:32:59 +0800 (CST)

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Drew Streib wrote:

> Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me with this:
>
> I'm running lab benchmarks of Linux servers, load balanced via ipvs, using
> ip tunneling. All servers are running (for now) kernel 2.2.14. The
> directory is running the 0.9.8 ipvs patch. These benchmarks will be
> published in an upcoming major computing magazine... and I sort of got hit
> with this at the last minute.

Great, thanks!

> All servers are connected to the same switch and same subnet.
>
> Director: 192.168.6.254
>   eth0:1  192.168.6.1
>   using rr/tunnel to send to servers 192.168.6.10, 192.168.6.11,
> 192.168.6.12, and 192.168.6.13
>
> Server1: 192.168.6.10
>   tunl0  192.168.6.1
> Server2: 192.168.6.11
>   tunl0  192.168.6.1
> Server3: 192.168.6.12
>   tunl0  192.168.6.1
> Server4: 192.168.6.13
>   tunl0  192.168.6.1
>
> The clients are plugged into the same switch, mostly via gigabit.
>
> Here is the problem. A client can connect to the 192.168.6.1 address and
> is forwarded off to a real server. Subsequent connections from this client
> ALL go to the same server though, and sometimes don't even appear to go
> through the director box at all. If I change the client ip, then it might
> be directed to another box.
>
> I'm not using persistent connections, and i'm hiding the interfaces from
> arp. (also can't find equivalent of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden...
> in 2.3.50 kernel. any ideas? do i really need this with this setup?)

I just thought that the redirect of netfilter could solve the problem in
real servers of kernel 2.3.50, but I didn't make it work. I tried the
following steps on the server:

  echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
  # insert it if it is compiled as module
  modprobe ipip
  ifconfig tunl0 up
  modprobe ip_nat_map_redirect
  ipnatctl -I -p tcp -d <VIP> --dport 23 -b dest --to-port 23 -m redirect

When two "telnet <VIP>" commands are entered on the other machine, one is
connected to a real server of 2.2, the other to server of 2.3 hangs. I
checked the system that encapsulated packets are recieved correctly, I
don't know why it cannot be redirected to local port, or I use the
completely wrong commands to use netfilter's redirect?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wensong