LVS-Tun Benchmarking

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS-Tun Benchmarking
From: Drew Streib <ds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:22:56 -0800 (PST)
Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me with this:

I'm running lab benchmarks of Linux servers, load balanced via ipvs, using
ip tunneling. All servers are running (for now) kernel 2.2.14. The
directory is running the 0.9.8 ipvs patch. These benchmarks will be
published in an upcoming major computing magazine... and I sort of got hit
with this at the last minute.

All servers are connected to the same switch and same subnet.

Director: 192.168.6.254
  eth0:1  192.168.6.1
  using rr/tunnel to send to servers 192.168.6.10, 192.168.6.11,
192.168.6.12, and 192.168.6.13

Server1: 192.168.6.10
  tunl0  192.168.6.1
Server2: 192.168.6.11
  tunl0  192.168.6.1
Server3: 192.168.6.12
  tunl0  192.168.6.1
Server4: 192.168.6.13
  tunl0  192.168.6.1

The clients are plugged into the same switch, mostly via gigabit.

Here is the problem. A client can connect to the 192.168.6.1 address and
is forwarded off to a real server. Subsequent connections from this client
ALL go to the same server though, and sometimes don't even appear to go
through the director box at all. If I change the client ip, then it might
be directed to another box.

I'm not using persistent connections, and i'm hiding the interfaces from
arp. (also can't find equivalent of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden...
in 2.3.50 kernel. any ideas? do i really need this with this setup?)

-drew

-------
Drew Streib <d@xxxxxxxxxxx> 408.542.5725

Sr Developer, Community Liason, SourceForge | <dtype@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>