Re: question about lvs and 2.3.x, 2.4

To: tcl@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: question about lvs and 2.3.x, 2.4
Cc: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Drew Streib <ds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:15:14 -0800 (PST)
I can vouch for all sorts of good performance from lvs. I've had single
processor boxes handle thousands of simultaneous connections without
problems, and yes, the 50,000 connections per second number from the VA
cluster is true.

lvs powers SourceForge.net, Linux.com, Themes.org, and VALinux.com.
SourceForge uses a single lvs server to support 22 machines, multiple
types of load balancing, and an average 25Mbit/sec traffic. With
60Mbit/sec of traffic flowing through the director (and more than 1000
concurrent connections), the box was having no problems whatsoever, and in
fact was using very little cpu.

Using DR mode, I've sent request traffic to an director box resulting in
near gigabit traffic from the real servers. (Request traffic was on the
order of 40Mbit.)

I can say without a doubt that lvs toasts F5/BigIP solutions, at least in
our real world implementations. I wouldn't trade a good lvs box for a
Cisco Local Director either.

-drew

-------
Drew Streib <d@xxxxxxxxxxx> 408.542.5725