Redhat6.1 and DR via the director itself.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Redhat6.1 and DR via the director itself.
From: catls <catls@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 19:09:16 +0530 (IST)
First of all THANK YOU for the help :).

I have some doubts.
If i am using the cluster as shown in the figure(previous message) and
sending packets in DR throught the director

1)Do i need to masquerade at all using ip chains if my cluster is being
used only to serve clients on the net and all the facilities offered are
in the control of ipvsadm and the director.?

2)If i want clients in the cluster to browse the net,i will need to
masquerade.Does ipvsadm take care of this or do i need to run ipchains.
Will running masquerading alter the ipvsadm setup in any way and how?

3)This is my understanding of how things work and its bound to be wrong
 Please correct me.

Client send packet to director with "destination address" as director's
external interface .

Director gets packet(on external iface),checks algorithm,decides to send
packet to realserver1.So it retransmits packet that just arrived on the
internal interface with the "MAC ADDRESS" changed to the mac address of
real server1.

Realserver1 gets packet and it examines packet for destination field.It
says helo! this destination is actually eth0:1(the aliased eth0 interface)
which is my iface.Hmm this packet must be for me.

Realserver then formulates a reply to the just arrived packet and puts the
eth0:1 address in the "source field".Then it sends it to its default
gateway.

Which in Lars's method is the DIRECTOR!.

Director gets packet on INTERNAL interface and since spoofing is disabled
does not bother?(part am not sure about?).Since the packet does not have a
destination field to its interfaces it just sends it out of the default
gateway no?
If spoofing check is disabled in linux by not putting a "1" in
the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter this should work no?

Now if this is wrong what do i do to get it to route those packets.
Could you tell me the exact commands please?

Umm btw i used eth0:1 because of the lo:0 problem with netmasks.Gave it a
wide berth:).

Nat works but since Direct routing is there i would like to get it working
since its so much more flexible if done right.Its a pain in the butt
though:).

4)Where can i get the IPvs-Masq software please?The URL would be a help.