Re: combination round robin dns and lvs?

To: tc lewis <tcl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: combination round robin dns and lvs?
From: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:23:39 -0400 (EDT)

Well there is error handling with dns, infact it's pretty much fundamental
feature of dns to have secondary name servers so how would that hurt
things....or are you speaking of a lvs machine going down and rr pointing
to a downed lvs server?  I see what you mean there but I would still
institute lvs failover as I would without using rr dns, so behind the dns
it would really be the same type of setup.  It just seems that rr dns
would be a very simple way to balance across multiple lvs machines.

You could have real servers point to all lvs machines somehow, I think
fwmark can be used here, or have a unique group of real servers per lvs
machine.  It would be neat I think, but is there real world benefits to
doing this?

I kind of agree with you on the hackish thing of using rr dns, but dns is
weird I think.  There are a lot of thing about dns that don't necessarily
follow standard yet people still do it and bind is written to allow such
behavior.  Hey, if it's good enough for kernel.org, it's good enough for
me.

-jeremy

--

http://www.xxedgexx.com | jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxx