Re: Announce ldirectord version 1.13

To: Ted Pavlic <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rief, Jacob" <Jacob.Rief@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Announce ldirectord version 1.13
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:50:43 -0700
On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 02:53:00PM -0700, Horms wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 12:55:11PM -0400, Ted Pavlic wrote:
> > I've never used ldirectord; I wrote some of my own utilities and rewrote a
> > bit of mon so that both will read from real simple (seven lines maybe) ifcfg
> > files in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory in RH. (like
> > ifcfg-ipvslvs0 sorta stuff)
> >
> > BUT... I was wondering...
> >
> > You see -- a big reason why I don't use things like ldirectord is because I
> > load balance 1024+ virtual servers (which are mainly web virtual hosts) onto
> > four identical real servers. Most programs like ldirectord would require me
> > to setup 1024 entries in some configuration file in order for me to do what
> > I need done.
> >
> > The way I've setup my system is allowed mon (and the other scripts which
> > setup the ipvs for me) to respond to subnets. That is, I can say that my
> > virtual server is 216.69.196.0/22 which should be balanced onto servers A,
> > B, C, and D. Then alerts inside mon as well as ifup/ifdown files which
> > recognize this automatically bring the whole subnet up or down balanced onto
> > those four servers that I also put in that same configuration file.
> >
> > Basically I'm asking if ldirectord (or any other package) supports this sort
> > of mechanism... The ability to load balance a subnet rather than just one
> > signel virtual server.
> >
> > I apologize if ldirectord does have this ability and my laziness to not read
> > any of its documentation has left me in the dark, but I'm guessing it does
> > not.
>
> Ldirectord does not have this functionality but it could easily be added.

The attached patch to the version of ldirectord in the heartbeat
CVS tree should enable ranges of virtual servers to be specified.

e.g.

virtual=192.168.6.240:80
        real=192.168.6.2-192.168.6.30:80 gate
        service=http
        request="index.html"
        receive="Test Page"
        scheduler=rr

If there are no objections from Jacob I will commit this patch.

--
Horms