Re: Announce ldirectord version 1.16

To: Pablo Alsina <palsina@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Announce ldirectord version 1.16
Cc: Juri Haberland <juri.haberland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rief, Jacob" <Jacob.Rief@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Virtual Server <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 17:39:27 -0400 (EDT)
> > And another thing: If a real server crashes ldirectord needs a long time
> > to discover that this server isn't responding. I assume it is due to the
> > timeout of the read request. Maybe a ping prior to the read request
> > would solve this problem...

I've found that reducing the value of tcp_syn_retry helps with this
problem as well.

I personally have solved this problem thusly:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries

It default is 10.  On my machine(s) this results in a reduction from 100
seconds to 10 for a totally down server.

You might even want to go as low as zero -- in my case, I'm using direct
routing, and on my LAN, I can reasonably expect that I should not have to
resend a syn (and certainly not more than once) to a properly functioning
server.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but it's something to consider.

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger - Senior System Administrator
Dialtone Internet - Extremely Fast Web Systems
(954) 581-0097 - Voice (954) 581-7629 - Fax
ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.dialtoneinternet.net