Re: How to install ethernet card?

To: Ted Pavlic <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to install ethernet card?
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 18:41:47 +0200
Hi Ted,

> I didn't see the rest of this thread -- I think the message you are
> responding to isn't on the list... <?> so maybe this was covered... but...

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted this to the list.

> They won't be able to ping each other until that network is routed to that
> interface. Newer versions of ifconfig do that automatically, but I'm pretty
> sure that older versions do not. In that case, just to be sure everything's
> kosher, make everything explicit. Give this a shot:

That's not the problem, but I see, out of my cc's nobody
is able to derive the problem he currently has.

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up
> route add -host 192.168.0.2 eth0
> route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
>
> I know the genmasking shouldn't be necessary since this is a 192 address,
> but I always feel safer if I do everything myself.

from the man page:
       netmask addr
              Set the IP network mask for this  interface.   This
              value defaults to the usual class A, B or C network
              mask (as derived from the  interface  IP  address),
              but it can be set to any value.

Actually I once patched the ifconfig command to read
/etc/netmasks.
You could add the netmasks of your wish to /etc/netmasks
and ifconfig would happily put the correct one.

> It might also be wise to bring the loopback device up, but not necessary.

Oh yes, you definitely want to set up the loopback!

> Just wanted to add those two cents.
>
> All the best --

Thank you, I'm really getting exhausted, Joe do you want
to take over:)

> Ted

I'm still fighting with Eric's NIC :) He's absolutely new to Linux
and mixed up a lot of things. I'm trying to help him out. And some-
times I cc my mails to the lvs-list. But as you correctly stated it
is not a very good idea, since the others can't follow the thread.
We already exchanged about 12 mails and all I want from him is some
output messages. We are still quite far from pinging the hosts :)

--
mailto: `echo NrOatSz@xxxxxxxxx | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`