Re: hot-plug realservers

To: Tim Wu <chtimwu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hot-plug realservers
Cc: LVS <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jay J <3pound@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 21:30:22 -0500
Tim Wu wrote:

> I found another problem.
> I setup only 2 real servers before starting AB and
> add one while ab is sending.  It don't dispatch connections to this
> new real server until I stop AB and wait for a moment.
>
> I am sure it's not a problem of LVS  because LVS can
> dispatch connections from another client to new real server .
>
> Anyone know why? Thanks for help.

Any chance ab is using keep-alives, or are you setting them explicitly
(-k)?

This isn't the place, but I may have noticed some "accounting" oddities
with ab - with regards to concurrency * total requests, etc.

For instance: (Version 1.3c <$Revision: 1.38 $>)
/www/bin/ab http://localhost/ -n 2 -c 2 (2 requests)
/www/bin/ab http://localhost/ -n 2 -c 1 (2 requests)
/www/bin/ab http://localhost/ -n 2 -c 3 (3 requests)
/www/bin/ab http://localhost/ -n 1 -c 3 (3 requests)

and, -n 2 -c 5 .. reports:
Concurrency Level:      5
Time taken for tests:   0.030 seconds
Complete requests:      2
.. But actually hits the server with 5 requests.

I feel sorta bad, but I guess I'm suggesting you might look at 'ab'
first ..

-Jay