Re: Many thanks for help! One last question ;-)

To: lmb@xxxxxxx (Lars Marowsky-Bree)
Subject: Re: Many thanks for help! One last question ;-)
Cc: thomas.hoelsken@xxxxxx, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:21:54 -0400 (EDT)
> On 2000-10-18T15:34:04,
>    thomas.hoelsken@xxxxxx said:
>
> > One last question: I have a configuration with 2 LVS routers and 2 FTP
> > servers
> > and want to synchronize the two FTP servers. Are there any tools for this
> > task?
>
> Besides rsync:
> http://www.globalfilesystem.org/
> http://www.inter-mezzo.org/

Does anybody have any experience using either of these?  Both seem
promising, and both seem better than Coda.  I looked at Coda for a
while but my opinion is that it is just not even close to being ready
for primetime.

Also, if only two systems are involved, some kind of network block device
could be used:

        http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/reisner/drbd/

The folks at Suse indicated to me they had the most success with this
one.

A network block device basically used a network connection (usually
a dedicated one - two NICs and a crossover cable is best) to synchronize
disks between the two systems.  It is sure a lot cheaper than a dual
attached RAID box or something.  It is also a lot simpler than GFS or
Intermezzo.

--
John Cronin