Re: How to setup the aliases (e.g. eth1:1 or eth0:1)

To: thomas.hoelsken@xxxxxx, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to setup the aliases (e.g. eth1:1 or eth0:1)
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:01:51 -0400
On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 07:56:54AM -0400, Joseph Mack wrote:
> thomas.hoelsken@xxxxxx wrote:
>
> > How I have to setup the alias devices for NAT and VS?
>
> turn on ip aliasing in the Networking section of the kernel configure.
> recompile the kernel and reboot with the new kernel
>
> Then you can use ifconfig to setup your aliased devices.
>
> $ifconfig eth0:1 ......

If you want to do this the redhatish way then the alias should be defined
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<alias_name>.  This has the
advantage that the alias should be brought up again on reboot,
though there are other ways to achieve this.

e.g.

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
DEVICE=eth0:0
IPADDR=192.168.0.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

To bring the alias up in a redhatish way.

/sbin/ifup eth0

To check that the alias has been activated

/sbin/ifconfig

--
Horms