Re: TurboLinux TurboCluster 6 -- & The best LVS 'package' that's free.

To: Dan Browning <danb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TurboLinux TurboCluster 6 -- & The best LVS 'package' that's free.
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:50:55 -0400
On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 07:34:02PM -0700, Dan Browning wrote:
> I hate to re-hash something that's been covered already, but I thought the
> release of TurboCluster 6 was good enough reason.  Does anybody have the
> beef on 6.0?  What is the difference between it and LVS?  What is this about
> "implemented as an application"?
>
> Another question.  What is the best "packaged" free LVS implementation?
> Ultra Monkey?  Piranha?  Other?  I know that "best" is subjective, but
> sometimes there are clear winners (like Apache).  If there are no clear
> winners on the best "package", then what are your opinions?

My view is that there are three main choices (in no particular order).

 * Piranha
 * Ultra Monkey
 * Do your own thing

I am of course biased towards Ultra Monkey, its my project after all.  It
is however fair to say that both Piranha and Ultra Monkey offer High
Availability and Load Balancing for a variety of configurations.  Both
offer support: Piranha through Red Hat and Ultra Monkey through VA Linux
Systems Professional Services. Both are open source.

Ultra Monkey is aimed more to be a tool for someone to sit down, read the
documentation, decide how to deploy their network, amd implement it.
Piranha on the other hand has GUI which arguably allows for greater ease of
configuration but IMHO does limit the flexibility of the solution that can
be deployed. There are various feature differences but I'm not going
to get into a feature-list bake-off.

Ultimately it is all about choice and Ultra Monkey and Piranha provide
this.

--
Horms -> Poject Lead, Ultra Monkey