Re: (drbd) Re: Many thanks for help! One last question ;-)

To: John@xxxxxxx, Cronin@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: (drbd) Re: Many thanks for help! One last question ;-)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:01:45 -0400
John Cronin wrote:

> So, how stable is the current NFS on Linux?

not great.
I use the userland nfs (as against kernel). The rpc demons die
occassionally and I run a cronjob every minute to restart missing ones.

 Is there a particular
> implementation that is stable (ie won't lose data) and has good
> performance?

performance is about 1/3 the speed of a local mounted IDE (see the performance
page
on the website).

I've read that Linux nfs is never going to be fast as the layers of nfs code
are mapped onto ufs. The mapping for ext2 just doesn't work well and never will