Re: Syncing servers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Syncing servers
From: Marc Grimme <grimme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:46:40 +0200
Zack,
On Thursday, 19. July 2001 17:25, you wrote:
> Hello all-
>       I am having a debate with one of my software developers about how to
> most efficiently sync content between realservers in an LVS system.
>       The situation is this... Our content production software that we'll be
> putting into active use soon will enable our marketing folks to insert
> the advertising into our newsletters without the tech and launch teams
> getting involved (this isn't necessarily a good thing, but I'm willing
> to remain open minded ;). This will require that the images they put
> into newsletters be synced between all the webservers... The problem
> though is that the web/app servers running this software are
> load-balanced so I'll never know which server the images are being
> copied to.
Depending on how much data you need to sync, you could think about using a
Cluster Filesystem. So that any node in the LVS-Cluster could concurrently
access the same physically data.
Have a look at http://www.sistina.com/gfs/ . We have a clustered webserver
with 3 to 5 nodes with GFS underneath and it works pretty stable.
>       Obviously loading the images into the database backend and then out to
> the servers would be one method, but the software guys are convinced
> that there is a way to do it with rsync. I've looked over the
> documentation for rsync and I don't see anyway to set up cron jobs on
> the servers to run an rsync job that will look at the other servers
> content, compare it and then either upload or download content to that
> server. Perhaps I am missing an obvious way of doing this, so can anyone
> give me some advice as to the best way of pursuing this problem?
If you are sure on what server has latest data is uploaded to, no problem
with rsync. If not I would consider to use a Network - or Cluster Filesystem.
That should save a lot of scripting work and is more storage efficient.

--

Gruss/Regards,

Marc Grimme

**
ATIX - Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie und Consulting mbH
Einsteinstrasse 10
D-85716 Unterschleissheim
Tel.: +49-89 31 78 7 42 4
http://www.atix.de/            http://www.san-time.org/