RE: revserse lvs?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: revserse lvs?
From: "James Northcott" <jnorthcott@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:13:46 -0500
> James O'Kane wrote:
> >

> > Actually, the problem I'm trying to solve is to allow
> access to the whole
> > internet from the director.
>
> when you say "from" do you mean by someone logged in at the
> director, or
> do you mean "through" ie the director is passing packets to
> the internet
> from other machines.
>
> I basically want standard NAT, but with load
> > balancing over the 4 modem lines. In this case, the real
> servers would be
> > any machine on the internet.
>
> Time for a diagram and an explanation of what you want. I
> don't understand
> what you're trying to do.

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to use the director as the
default gateway for several machines in a private address space, but you
want the load to go out over four separate ppp modem links.

This is not what LVS does - it's definately backwards.

What you want is iproute2 (search for it on Google).  Once you have it
installed, you can do something like this:

ip route add default nexthop via ${gateway1} dev ppp0 nexthop via
${gateway2} dev ppp1 ...

where ${gatewayx} are the other ends of your ppp links.  This is
independant from NAT - first get NAT working using ipchains/iptables,
then add this specail default route and all traffic will be balanced out
over all links specified with a nexthop command.  Return traffic will
come back through the link it went out.

If you need more help with this, you can send me an email directly.
Since this doesn't really have anything to do with LVS, we should
probably leave the mailing list alone.