Re: heartbeat between LVS machines

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: heartbeat between LVS machines
From: Juri Haberland <list-linux.lvs.users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:05:44 +0000 (UTC)
"Alex Kramarov" <alex-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have noticed that in order to maintain failover capability with 2 LVS
> machines, heartbeat is recommended. Heartbeat will activate the standby
> machine only if the main one dies completely (as I see it). The question is,
> is this the only case that the switch should be initiated ? is there no
> other case when lvs can fail, but the machine continues to live and to
> support the heartbeat, or if there is a problem with the lvs module the
> machine goes completely down since it's a kernel module ?

Hello Alex,

a failover should be initiated whenever a resource on the primary fails.
Unfortunately Heartbeat only has the capability to detect a complete server
failure, not resource failures. In order to detect those failures you have
to use another program like mon to monitore your resources (e.g. network
connectivity) and let mon take appropriate steps in case of a failure (e.g.
shutdown Heartbeat or reboot server).

Juri

--
Juri Haberland  <juri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>