heartbeat between LVS machines

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: heartbeat between LVS machines
From: "Alex Kramarov" <alex-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:15:04 +0200
Hello.

I have noticed that in order to maintain failover capability with 2 LVS
machines, heartbeat is recommended. Heartbeat will activate the standby
machine only if the main one dies completely (as I see it). The question is,
is this the only case that the switch should be initiated ? is there no
other case when lvs can fail, but the machine continues to live and to
support the heartbeat, or if there is a problem with the lvs module the
machine goes completely down since it's a kernel module ?

Thank you.

Alex.