Re: Antwort: Re: Cascaded with Foundry

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Cascaded with Foundry
From: Radu-Adrian Feurdean <raf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:51:30 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 robert.gehr@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. We talked the folks with the foundry box into
> throwing it out :-)
> I still would like to know if it is possible to cascade  LVS machines if
> they are at different locations using different IP addresses.
>
> Let me explain what I mean
>
> The folks who ran the Foundry and whose Web Application we host are located
> in the States and use different IP addresses than we do.
> Now they have got a spare Web Server which they wanted to run as sort of a
> hot standby machine, thats why they set up this Foundry thing.
>
> Over here at our place in Germany I run two directors with heartbeat and
> behind them a two sets of Real Servers consisting of two machines each.
> Each set autonomous and one is for the folks in the States. The method I
> use is DR and it works well.
>
> Here is the question: Can I set up a LVS machine in the States that directs
> the traffic to the LVS machine at our place and our Real Servers answer
> back?
> I can not set the default route on the director here in Germany to point to
> the machine in the States because the box is on a different network and
> because I dont want to run traffic over that box for the other set of Web
> Servers.

Yes, theoreticallt you can, but is not evident. This implies that you use
tunneling and set a route to the other tunneling endboint via the former
default gateway". Then set up the default gateway using the tunneling
endpoint. You may set up aditional static routes for the networks that are
geographically local.

In addition, if your default gateway macinhe supports policy routing you may
set up the tunneling at that level. This may require policy routing in most
cases (see below). Also, this requires that the machine that is the default
gateway for the LVS can be controlled by you (i.e. it is not owned and managed
by the bandwidth provider, as in the most web-hosting cases).

> I once played a bit with iproute2 doing routing based on source addresses
> and the like but I don't know whether this would be an option.
>
> Any ideas on this ?

Heavily depends on the exact setup. Generally policy routing is NOT necesarry,
i.e. the simple destination-based routing is enough. tunneling at the default
gateway is one of the setups that has a great chances of needing that.
Tunneling at the director level generally doesn't need that.

>                     Joseph Mack
>                     <mack.joseph@        An:
> lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Gehr/GENIUS/DE
>                     epa.gov>             Kopie:
>                                          Thema:  Re: Cascaded with Foundry
>                     19.09.2001
>                     12:46

OT: This is really annoying for non-LotusNotes mail clients.

 Radu-Adrian Feurdean
mailto: raf @ chez.com
Microsoft is the C:\ of all evil