Re: IPVS sync daemon

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPVS sync daemon
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:00:00 +0800 (CST)
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Fabrice wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried it too with LVS-NAT, with 2 directors.
> I have a master and a "backup" which are
> using IPVS-Sync to synchronise the connections
> tables. Linux 2.4.10, IPVS 0.9.4
>
> I effectively see the udp synchronization packets
> going from master to the backup server. That
> brings me to the first question:
>
> 1) Is there a way to see the connections informations
> that are received by the backup IPVS?

use "ipvsadm -lcn" at the backup.

> UDP packets are only generated to signal a new
> connection, so

Not exactly, the overhead of this method is too high. Only when the
incoming packet counter mod (%) 50 is equal to the sync_threshold, the
connection entry info is queued in the sync buff, it will be sent out when
the buffer is full or last for two seconds.

> 2) How does IPVS take care about the Sequence
> Numbers when you have to fail over?

No, the IPVS don't need to take care of sequence number, the IPVS box is
like router. Only the final destination will need sequence number.

> 3) Are the master/backup role swapped automatically
> after a fail over (if you have set "nice_fallback")?

The role of the director is changed, your user-space program needs to
change the role of the sync daemon too.

> 4) What is /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/sync_threshold good for?

If the incoming packet is larger than the sync_threshold, the connection
info will be synchronized to the backups. Note that sync_threshold is
usually less than 50, if it is greater or equal to 50, no connection info
is synchronized.

Regards,

Wensong