Re: Primary / Secondary Load Balancer problem

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Primary / Secondary Load Balancer problem
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:37:17 +1100
On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 08:00:54PM +0530, Girish Kamath wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have setup a Linux Virtual Server with 2 load balancers and 2 real
> servers. They are working perfectly fine. When the Primary Load Balancer
> fails the Secondary Load Balancer takes control and starts servicing.  My
> problem is when the Primary Load Balancer is back in operation again, it
> stays as a Secondary while the original Secondary Load Balancer is
> servicing requests, as a primary.  What i want is, that when a Primary LB
> is back in operation, the secondary should relinquish the floating IP to
> the Primary and Primary should start serving requests again.  What do i
> need to do to achive this ? Any pointers would be helpful

Hi

If you are using heartbeat to effect the failover of the Linux Directors
(Load Balancers) then try turning off the "nice_failback" option and
reaarting heartbeat on each machine. When this option is turned on the
behaviour is as you describe. When it is disabled then one machine has a
predistposition to be the master - as per the configuration - and will take
over as the Primary once it comes back online.

--
Horms