Re: clustering difference between lvs and mosix

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: clustering difference between lvs and mosix
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:05:01 +0100
Hello Joe,

I understand the differences between Beowulf and Mosix. With Beowulf, each process of a "cluster compiled" application can be load balanced across all clustered servers. With Mosix, each process of an application or thread will be executed on the cluster node that is least used (Has resources available). In these types of situations, where

Oh, thanks, this is by far the nicest explanation I've ever read. This makes perfectly sense now. Thanks.

does LVS fit in? Does an application have to be compiled to use header files from LVS (aka PVM style)? Is it application independant and more kernel clustering?

None, actually, IMHO. You define clustering and load sharing, LVS does traffic load balancing. No processes are involved. It's mainly to have redundancy and load balancing on the network level. The application level behind a LVS cluster can then again be load balanced/shared with a Beowulf/Mosix cluster.

The best situation that I would be looking for is where I wouldn't have to recompile any applications and that it would load balance applications (single processes) across multiple nodes.

You can't load balance application load, but you can load balance the incoming traffic that hits the server those applications are running and thus indirectly load balance application load but you have almost no influence on the load balancing of the application load.

I've already decided to go with Mosix unless LVS does a similar thing, in which case I will probably try LVS instead.

From reading your email I get the impression you definitely need load sharing and thus either Mosix or Beowulf. I stand corrected but you need to provide a rough idea of what you intend to do, how does your application work?

HTH and tell me if it doesn't make sense,
Roberto Nibali, ratz