Re: High Availability?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: High Availability?
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:01:53 +0100
On 2002-02-23T08:39:09,
   John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxx> said:

> For freeware that you pay for with the sweat of your brow, heartbeat/mon
> sounds like what you are looking for; see http://www.linux-ha.org for
> more info and links.
>
> For commercial solutions, there is Redhat Piranha (and probably others)
> that is more or less based on the Open Source Linux stuff, and there is
> a mailing list for that as well.  It is not particularly cheap if you
> buy it, but you can download it for free if you think you can get it
> running without calling Redhat for support.

Define commercial; Piranha is Open Source, however you can buy it bundled,
which is convenient.

On Linux, it is at least sensible to mention Linux FailSafe (Open Source) too,
as well as SteelEye's commercial LifeKeeper product.

> File System and Cluster Volume Manager.  I am not certain, but in the
> very near future (ie by this summer), it may be possible to run
> Oracle Parallel Server fully functional on Linux.

The Oracle 9i Real Application Cluster _is_ fully functional on Linux (there
is a certified SuSE Linux/Compaq/Oracle setup) and has been for a few months;
OPS has been available longer than that.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl