Re: High Availability?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: High Availability?
From: jsc3@xxxxxxx (John Cronin)
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:06:02 -0500 (EST)
> On 2002-02-23T08:39:09,
>    John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxx> said:
>
> > For freeware that you pay for with the sweat of your brow, heartbeat/mon
> > sounds like what you are looking for; see http://www.linux-ha.org for
> > more info and links.
> >
> > For commercial solutions, there is Redhat Piranha (and probably others)
> > that is more or less based on the Open Source Linux stuff, and there is
> > a mailing list for that as well.  It is not particularly cheap if you
> > buy it, but you can download it for free if you think you can get it
> > running without calling Redhat for support.
>
> Define commercial; Piranha is Open Source, however you can buy it bundled,
> which is convenient.

Commercial in that you can pay for it with some expectation of support
from a vendor.  It is not so much the buying it bundled that is useful,
it is also the expectation that there should be somebody to call if there
is some problem - I am not certain how well this works in practice, as
I have only paid for basic Redhat, never Piranha.

> On Linux, it is at least sensible to mention Linux FailSafe (Open Source) too,
> as well as SteelEye's commercial LifeKeeper product.

Yea, I did not try to be complete, just mentioning some of the biggest
players I am aware of (and being American, Redhat is the big player
here, with Suse being the leader in Europe).

> > File System and Cluster Volume Manager.  I am not certain, but in the
> > very near future (ie by this summer), it may be possible to run
> > Oracle Parallel Server fully functional on Linux.
>
> The Oracle 9i Real Application Cluster _is_ fully functional on Linux (there
> is a certified SuSE Linux/Compaq/Oracle setup) and has been for a few months;
> OPS has been available longer than that.

I was not aware of this.  I have only just downloaded Oracle 8.1.7 for
Linux, and I noticed it mentioned OPS.  In the Solaris field which I am
much more familiar with, OPS is often run with either Sun Cluster or
more recently Veritas Cluster, with the Cluster File System and Cluster
Volume Manager from Veritas.  I am not really an expert at Oracle Parallel
Server, and I thought it required other cluster software to support it,
but I just did some web-browsing and it appears that it does not.

--
John Cronin
mailto: `echo NjsOc3@xxxxxxxxxxx | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`