Re: Documentation of arp problem in 2.4.18 kernel

To: Tin <maillist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Documentation of arp problem in 2.4.18 kernel
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Arisi Pablo <arisi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:00:42 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Tin wrote:

> May I know why using this (in all Linux Real Servers(RH 7.2), and configure
> the VIP on that int. as loopback) ?

        On Linux, you can configure local IP addresses on any
device as long as they are not used as preferred source IP addresses
in routes (the netdev events can cause problems). For LVS, the
VIPs are not used as prefsrcs. So, we can put them on any kind of
devices. Dev "lo" is recommended because:

- its link state is not changed very often

- we can configure network of local addresses (VIP/24)

> is it for Direct Server Return purpose ?

        Yes, in fact, it is a solution for setups with hosts with
shared addresses. LVS setups use it for DR and TUN methods.

> Tin

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>