Re: Loadbalancing multiple SQUID parents using a parent persistence sel

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Loadbalancing multiple SQUID parents using a parent persistence selection per client connection
From: Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:05:10 -0600
Alexandre Cassen wrote:
Hi Joe,

Is there a reason you can't simply tie each Squid to one parent? i.e. to redraw your diagram, something like this:

Yes because how SQUID-PROXY-i handle PROXY-PARENT-j failover if they do not know the whole parent topology ? (my parents doesn t support ICP)

if SP-1 directly linked to PP-1 => if PP-1 fails all clients directed on SP-1 will be stalled because SP-1 will not be removed from LVS ipvs table since all looks great on SP-1.

Ah... Therein lies the rub. Squid can't handle a failed parent if it doesn't
know of alternatives.

So, the choices here get a little stickier. Of course, I'm not really familiar with how Squid handles the failure of a non-ICP parent, anyway, so I may not be the best person to offer up solutions. What you could do is use your failure detection on the director to detect a failure of /either/ the Squid or the parent proxy in each of the three traffic paths. If either part fails, take that path out of the circuit, and rely on just the two still-working proxy chains until you are able to bring the failed chain back to life.

This might not be ideal, but it would work. There probably is a way to use the weight= option for your cache_peer. If you used an extremely high weight for the primary and an extremely low weight for the backups, it would probably work the vast majority of the time? I'm not sure if it is possible to weight a single parent to near-infinity and have the backups not used except in the event of failure. This question might be worth rephrasing in this light on the Squid list. I bet Henrik can make a more informed statement about cache_peer behavior (he was just poking at that area of the code when he did the rproxy enhancements to Squid).
--
Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.swelltech.com