Re: configure.pl

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: configure.pl
From: "John P. Looney" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:27:57 +0000
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 03:17:31PM +0200, Claudiu mentioned:
> i have downloaded lvs and i read the documentation...
> Somewhere it says i should use a configure.pl script to configure my
> virtual server...
> I cant find that configure.pl in my distribution??
>

> My goals are:
> -buiding a virtual server for users which desire a web page.. I want them
> to ssh in and be able to upload files, modify content..basically they
> should be able to administer their web server by their own... i want them
> chrooted there...
> Is this the right software for doing this??

 The problem is that they would only be changing the files on one host, if
you have multiple servers presented as one virtual service.

 They will have to copy the files to all the other servers too. What you
could do is specify a "master host", and setup a cron job to use rsync or
some such to copy files to all the other hosts (perhaps using SSH with
password-less DSA keys).

 As for the chroot part, yes there are projects devoted to this. A good
start would be to read:

    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue42/tag/4.html

 as it tells how to chroot specific users on a system.

John

--
John Looney             Chief Scientist