Re: Redirector project for FreeBSD

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Redirector project for FreeBSD
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:25:01 +0100
Hello Joe,

Yes and no. If you sum up the loss you have for a failed service for your e-commerce, banking, whatever project depending on the SLA all NICs are cheap. Trust me on that :)
erm, I guess I asked the wrong question.

What is a wrong question? If you already know it's wrong then you know the answer and thus wouldn't have needed to ask in the beginning. I'm confused (maybe an English problem).

Which ethernet cards are easy to support for vrrpd?

All are supported. Just one part for the failover/failback detection machinery which Alexandre was working on is a little bit NIC (must sound pretty vulgar to Alexandre) dependant.

Most/many of the people on this list seem to be trying out LVS with
whatever they have. If you can't do vrrpd unless you have expensive
hardware, then LVS won't be for casual experimenters anymore.

Sorry for not making my point clear enough. First of all, LVS will work on all hardware that Linux runs on. For VRRPD/keepalived this is the same and that's why I have told Alexandre to keep the FAULT_STATE detection for MII state transitions optional. By that way everyone from owning a cheap 8039 isa card on a 80386 up to whatever: s390x with 1024 interface emulations can use LVS in conjunction with keepalived to build a HA cluster of fine arts.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz