are spambots scanning the HOWTO for e-mail addresses?

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: are spambots scanning the HOWTO for e-mail addresses?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:08:08 -0400
About half of my e-mail is spam. This applies to nearly all the accounts
I have not just the ones I use for contacting me in webpages. Most of
it is in a character set I can't read.

/. recently had an article about spambots.

http://www.neilgunton.com/spambot_trap/

Spambots ignore the robots.txt file and scan webpages for "mailto:";
and '@' to find e-mail addresses. The article suggests changing
mailto: and machine readable e-mail addresses to a format
requiring human intervention (eg foo_at_bar_dot_com).

For postings to the LVS mailing list that I put in the HOWTO, I include
the person's name, e-mail address and date. The e-mail address is included
to help identify the person and to make it easier to track them down (eg
write to them, look up the original posting on the list archive).

Does anyone think that this policy should be changed, either by munging the
e-mail addresses or by leaving them out? Anyone got any idea whether they
get any more spam from having their e-mail address on a website?

Thanks Joe