Re: are spambots scanning the HOWTO for e-mail addresses?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: are spambots scanning the HOWTO for e-mail addresses?
From: Ronny Aasen <ronny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Apr 2002 01:56:02 -0400
On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 09:08, Joseph Mack wrote:
> About half of my e-mail is spam. This applies to nearly all the accounts
> I have not just the ones I use for contacting me in webpages. Most of
> it is in a character set I can't read.
>
> /. recently had an article about spambots.
>
> http://www.neilgunton.com/spambot_trap/
>
> Spambots ignore the robots.txt file and scan webpages for "mailto:";
> and '@' to find e-mail addresses. The article suggests changing
> mailto: and machine readable e-mail addresses to a format
> requiring human intervention (eg foo_at_bar_dot_com).
>
> For postings to the LVS mailing list that I put in the HOWTO, I include
> the person's name, e-mail address and date. The e-mail address is included
> to help identify the person and to make it easier to track them down (eg
> write to them, look up the original posting on the list archive).
>
> Does anyone think that this policy should be changed, either by munging the
> e-mail addresses or by leaving them out? Anyone got any idea whether they
> get any more spam from having their e-mail address on a website?
>
> Thanks Joe

I have a hotmail account for such uses.
i place that account on webpages, and on formes that requiere email in
order to send you passwords or similar.

after i last changed the account (aprox 2 years) i now get 30-40 spam
mails a day. the amount of spam renders the account unusable.

I get very little spam on the account i use for mailinglists and
newsgroups.

and none on my 'personal' mail box

i know i get more spam by having my adress on a webpage.

mvh
Ronny Aasen