Re: Again this comes up... :-)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Again this comes up... :-)
From: Matt.Gregory@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:11:00 -0400
Dr. Mack,
      You missed the second part of my email :-)

<this was the cliffhanger question>

While I can move the ip command and reconfigure, is this the best option?
I like the direct routing rules being used, and if I can modify them some
to keep the routing the same except for firewall/vpn traffic, I would be
happy.

It looks like the 3-tier setup is indeed what I need to implement.  I have
read through the link you sent and I am trying to understand everything
that is happening here.  (I'm a java programmer by trade, not a network
admin so this stuff is pretty knew to me.)

You say in the howto: "Here's a standalone version of the code in the
configure script that marks the packets."  Does that mean I need to modify
this script for my config and...
      A) Replace the rc.lvs_dr configure script with the output
      B) This script *is* the replacement for the rc.lvs_dr script
      C) I'm all wrong and I need to be doing something else...

> does your DR LVS work

Yes, it works great.  The problem is that I need to have a remote mon
server monitor my realservers for DNS failover through a VPN tunnel.  I
have mon keeping track inside of the remote datacenter and fixing some
problems, but if the network or firewall tanks the remote mon server will
switch the ips in the alternate DNS for realtime failover to another
datacenter.  I can't monitor anything on the realservers through the VPN
tunnel remotely unless I can reach the realservers via VPN/NAT from the
firewall.  Also, It would be nice to be able to use CPAN from the
realservers when I am doing updates, I like to use Webmin for some of the
common remote configuration, and to top it all off it's just a real pain to
have to ssh into the director and the ssh into the realservers instead of
being able to ssh directly to the realservers.  I'm not really concerned
about the security issue since all the servers are behind a secure firewall
which is also monitoring network traffic for abuse.

Matt Gregory
Web Developer
CTI, Inc.
cell: 678-458-6513
ioem: matt.gregory@xxxxxxxxx *see key block below
ooem: matthew.gregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Joseph Mack

                      <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>              To:
lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                           cc:

                      lvs-users-admin@LinuxVirtua        Subject:  Re: Again
this comes up... :-)
                      lServer.org

                      09/12/2002 09:42 AM

                      Please respond to lvs-users

Matt.Gregory@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Ok, so why am I not able to route directly to my realservers
> (10.80.1.21/22) from my NAT gateway/firewall?

you're not supposed to be able to do this with lvs-dr

> I checked, and after the configuration script is run the realservers do
not
> have a default gateway in their route.

they're not supposed to have one

 I can't ping outside services from
> the realservers (google.com for example),

correct

the RIPs are not supposed to connect to the outside world.
It's a feature. If you want to do this see the section
on 3-Tier LVS's

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-10.html

does your DR LVS work?

 NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may
 contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely
 for the use of the addressee.  If the reader of this message is not the
 intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
 dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or
 its attachments, hyperlinks, or any other files of any kind is strictly
 prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
 the sender immediately by telephone (865-218-2000) or by a reply to this
 electronic mail message and delete this message and all copies and
 backups thereof.