Re: memory use on long persistent connection (eg for e-commerce sites,

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: memory use on long persistent connection (eg for e-commerce sites, squids)
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:28:34 +0200
Hello,

The main problem with using persistence for session var tracking is that all you are gaining from the LVS is performance... You are not getting any high availability i.e. if your real server falls over durring a persistent SSL session you loose your shopping basket (or whatever)

Not when it is carefully designed in a way so the SSL termination is behind the RS. But generally I agree with you and you made an interesting statement which noone has written here so far:

In terms of needed persistency the LVS is giving your performance but not high availability. You can optimize the parameters of high availability and performance to form an acceptable policy for a potential customer by carefully designing your application.

Anyone using ASP/IIS will be well used to the service restarting all the time due to the piddly 64MB ASP memory limit in IIS5 (wonder if they'll raise this in .net)

You must be kidding me, is this true? Where can I read more about this?

My wife always leaves web sites open for things like holidays / hotels etc so that when I come home I can see it...

... and enter the CC number ;)

Often as soon as I click anything I loose the session.. :-(

Sure.

Bad design full stop.
To save money on re-coding.. code it properly in the first place.

My point! It's definitely about proper software design and this seems to be getting pretty rare these days.
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc