Re: memory use on long persistent connection (eg for e-commerce sites,

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: memory use on long persistent connection (eg for e-commerce sites, squids)
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:10:15 +0200
Hi,

I found it on the M$oft site somewhere when I was looking for answers to various out of memory errors in ASP, IIS4 had a 32MB pool for each script IIS5 has 64MB...

What can I say, different people, different world ;). Microsoft did their own interpretation of the Internet (because they can afford to do that) and its usage including:

<warning rant ahead>
o severely broken TCP/IP stack when it comes to routing and filtering,
  also did they interprete RFC793 a bit too wide in my view concerning
  retransmition and they have a broken ECN support.
o broken languages that cheat you into thinking programming is simple
o own proprietary server-client protocols
o renamed everything that had an intelligent naming concept in UNIX
  - their load balancing (W2K) document for example
  - network related stuff including route/ipconfig/winipcfg
  - symbolic links (they advertised it as being a new invention)
  - command completion (I forgot how they named it in the registry)
</warning rant ahead>

So I can assume, that because the ASP script would under certain circumstances eat away all memory, the IIS memory manager will give it only 64MB per ASP, right? This is comparable to the JVM I guess. Sorry for my incompetence in field of ASPs.

Unfortunately my site runs off a single 2MB ASP script and I've been struggling to track down the memory leaks since I inherited it...

You would be referring to the http://www.crocus.co.uk/ site that harbours JS, ASP and flash, if I've checked correcly?

Used to crash every 2 hours on IIS4, Now I've got it up to about 12 hours on IIS5 with increased traffic.

Isn't this a bit of a pain? How do you handle the crash recovery? Do you have a healthcheck script that will restart the IIS or do you get informed and then you need to powercycle the IIS server?

I've shortly checked the Microsoft website for updates but since I don't know what Windows version you're running I can't give you any help here. Sometimes it helped when upgrading to the newest SPs but only sometimes and I guess you know that anyway ;).

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc