Re: Sorry not quite a VS question

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sorry not quite a VS question
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:23:34 +0100
Hello Peter,

About when P3-600's were out.  I haven't tested this in a while.

I very well remember and we have delivered a few such packet filters without any major problems.

I remember the Asus P3B-F motherboard had this problem a lot.  Actually all

We used all the ASUS P*B-* motherboards and never had a single problem. Ok, we use a 2.2.x kernel with some enhancements of mine (not IRQ routing related). There should be no problem.

the boards in this era that I used had this problem, and guides like
anandtech & tomshardware advised to configure the BIOS to have each PCI slot
be a set IRQ.

Do _not_ do that! Linux will choose an IRQ for the PCI slot and depending on whether the board has SCSI or IDE the IRQ wired routing on the local APIC is different. Forcing an IRQ on a specific PCI slot makes ASUS boards with older firmware releases go banana when assigning the IRQ routing, especially those with a onboard SCSI chip. There you have a reversed initialisation phase. Also if you're using the PCI-sharing option from the BIOS make sure to enable PCI-2.x compliancy and use an up-to-date BIOS release. And last but not least: All this doesn't work if you use Realtek-chipset based NICs. They are fundamentally flawed when it comes to IRQ sharing. Nowadays this is solved however and you can use this el-cheapo NIC.

Nowadays you can look into the motherboard booklet and see the wiring. If you intend to put in an additional SCSI card you need to make sure that the routing is separated. In most 5 to 6 PCI-slot boards, you could for example select slot 1 and 2 for separation since they are not routed over the same chip. It's depending on the bridge however.

This all changes if you have a SMP board (how could it be any different of course :)). There you need to distinguish every single motherboard factorisation to know how to solve the eventual problem of deplaced IRQ sharing. It will very much depend on the PCI chipset support in the kernel (in Windows world this would be the busmaster driver).

I could go on and on and on, ... I spent too many days staring at the bus
analyzer.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc