Re: Sorry not quite a VS question

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sorry not quite a VS question
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:19:04 +0100
Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay.

Ok..  so IRQ sharing is FIXED in 99% of situations now?  I can take 2 quad
cards from different manufacturer's and put them in the same box and they
will work on the same IRQ (from the BIOS perspective)?

This is not said. All 4 ports of a single quadboard will have the same IRQ but if you put in a second quadboard from a different vendor your machine might just end up using different IRQ. Interport IRQ routing on a single quadboard is almost always shared. Also you need to take into account that this can change if you enable local APIC on UP or APIC in general for SMP boards. There you most propably end up with less probability of shared IRQs. However you end up with bigger problems with certain Intel boards based on the 440GX+/440LX+ chipset.

So SCSI needs to be a seperate IRQ from the rest?  Don't share SCSI.  What
about Firewire or USB2 or ... ;)

I'm not that much into firewire and USB2, since having a packet filter or high traffic node with quadboards normally implies in not having the need for any firewire or USB2 devices. YMMV.

It pays to buy good SMP boards.  Have you looked at the AMD bus at all?

If you're going SMP then yes, pay a 200 bucks more and get a decent board with EMP and MCE support via console (UART). I have looked at the AMD boards but in our lab we've found them to be less ready to work properly with the rest of our hardware then Intel based boards. I wish support for AMD boards in Linux would be better but this is just a matter of time.

I could go on and on and on, ... I spent too many days staring at the bus analyzer.

Do the girls know this?  I hope they don't get jealous :))

<warning: OT area>
:) Don't worry. I guess the keys to achieve an equilibrium in this perspective
are:

o Work when they are out with some friends or when they sleep
o Get them interested in what you're doing by telling them that what you're
  doing is very important to save the world and will be rewarded with good
  money. Part of the money will then be spending money for cruises and shiny
  things.
  I'm actually not making this up, Linus Torvalds told me this at this year's
  OLS, when I asked him about his relationship with Tove :)
o You could be doing worse: hanging around in bards and drinking with your
  mates. Ask her what she prefers.
  This is a freely interpreted part of a recent book I read from the marvellous
  columnist Dave Barry of the Miami Herold!
o Always plan some spare time to spend with a girl. Most girls like attention
  which doesn't have to be long in timespans but intensive in its varieties.
</warning: OT area>

Thanks for your comments

Hey, for you all the time, mate!

Cheers,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc