RE: IP tunneling architecture issue

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: IP tunneling architecture issue
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:03:45 -0800
> We've never done this before. But if it works, it would sure increase
> our claimed reliability as we can talk about multihomed,
> geographically
> separate, entirely redundant systems.

I think there were a few posts along this thread in the past.  There was
some talk about using BGP with LVS integration using a tool Horms wrote
called Supersparrow (http://www.supersparrow.org/).  I'm not sure if it's
production ready, but if it was that's your best choice by far.  Routing LVS
connections based on BGP is a great idea!

> My questions are - what do we do with the Linux Director at the main
> site to have a failover solution.  If the internet service to the main
> site fails, how does the alternate site know to take over receiving
> requests? Given that it is elsewhere on the WAN, how does the backup
> site update local routers with the virtual IP? Do we need a
> backup Linux

If Supersparrow isn't production ready try looking into a DNS / geographic
solution.  I think F5 sells a box that will do this called "3 DNS".  Here's
the link - http://f5.com/f5products/3dns/.  I don't know of any open-source
alternative other than Supersparrow.  (FYI Supersparrow's solution would be
better than 3dns if it worked... BGP rocks!)

> Thanks in advance.

NP, hope it helps

Peter