RE: IP tunneling architecture issue

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: IP tunneling architecture issue
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:34:30 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Peter Mueller wrote:

This is what Akamai does.  They use BGP table information to build a
network map and then announced DNS information based on the closest
server.  For example, I have 3 akamai servers in my network. When I use
DNS to lookup a.1234.akamai.net I get the IP address of my servers.  If I
go into some equipment on a different network the same name gives me
different IPs.  It is always the IP closest to me network wise.

Go to www.msnbc.com, view source and search for akamai.net  You'll see
the reference a799.g.akamai.net. Traceroute to that name from home it
= 63.240.15.152, 12 hops away.  From work it is one of my IP's and 2 hops
away :).  Pretty cool actually.

Using DNS to load-balance between clusters based on network BGP data.
Then have each cluster setup as a LVS HA cluster to load balance locally.