Re: If this is not persistence, what is it? Maybe http1.1 ?!?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: If this is not persistence, what is it? Maybe http1.1 ?!?
From: Ivan Pulleyn <ivan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:52:02 -0600 (CST)
To totally fragment the request, if using apache, 'KeepAlive off'
option will disable HTTP keep-alive sessions. So a single browser load
will have to connect() many times; once for the document, then again
for each image on the page, style sheet, etc. Also, sending a pragma
no-cache in the HTTP header would be a good idea to ensure the client
actually reloads.

Ivan..

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> Joao Pedro Clemente wrote:
> > I've setted um a lvs-dr in front of 2 J2EE servers (Jboss, to be precise).
> > I've created a simple test page that has a link for itself. I
> > configured each server has having a different color for the page.
> > I was expecting to see a different color each time I clicked the page
> > link... But no: I see the same color for some time, and eventually it
> > would change to the other color.
> >
> > I confirmed my doubts with ipvsadm. A connection stays up for some time,
> > then it goes to closed state and then it round robin the requests to the
> > second server.
> >
> > Question: Is this caused by the browser, (for instance, trying to use a
> > http1.1 persistent connection) ? I've tried with IE and mozilla, I think.
> >
> > --
> >                             Joao Pedro Clemente
> >                             jpcl @ rnl.ist.utl.pt
> >                                     (when not working out)
> >                                     (when not sleeping)
> >                                     (when not surfing)
> >                                     (when not ... ;)
> >

> I always use two clients to check, one client tends to be persistent up
> to the time out.

Ivan Pulleyn
Sixfold Technologies, LLC
Chicago Technology Park