LVS-DR / LVS-NAT / FW questions

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LVS-DR / LVS-NAT / FW questions
From: "Nicolas Chiappero" <Nicolas.Chiappero@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:44:32 +0100
Hello,

I can see the following LVS-DR setup running fine :

                       (ROUTER)
                      ____|_____
                     |__________| eth1: private FW IP address = FIP
                      ____|_____
                     |          | VIP=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (eth0:1)
                     | DIRECTOR | GW = FIP
                     |__________| DIP=192.168.0.1 (eth0)

         -----------------------------------
         |                |                |
  RIP1=192.168.0.2      RIP2=192.168.0.3   RIP3=192.168.0.4 (all eth0)
                    VIP on lo:1 for all RIPs
   _____________     _____________    _____________
  |             |   |             |  |             |
  | realserver  |   | realserver  |  | realserver  |
  |_____________|   |_____________|  |_____________|

                    GW for all RIPs is FIP.

I would like to merge director and firewall into only one box, but
some questions remain and I have no clear answers :
 - I read many different documents and figured out that "proxy arp"
is equivalent to "transparent proxy". Am I right ?
 - If so, I found a document (http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/proxyarp/)
explaining how to do proxy arp on a 2.4 kernel. Will this method
be compatible with LVS as long as director would also be the default
GW for realservers ?
On the other side, I found some explanations by Julian in LVS-HOWTO
chapter 14.4.2 explaining how to patch director kernel to manage source
martian packets.
Both solutions works ?

I would like to have a very stable setup, so I'm wondering whether
switching from LVS-DR to LVS-NAT would be a better approach or not.
In this case, I would like to be sure that LVS-NAT can handle
the actual load of this LVS-DR setup. Can I do some maths
against actual ipvsadm statistical values ?

Regards,
Nicolas.