Detecting (and failing over) if external ethernet interface drops?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Detecting (and failing over) if external ethernet interface drops?
From: Nate Carlson <natecars@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:14:09 -0600 (CST)
Not sure if this question belongs here or on the heartbeat list, let me
know if I should go there.  :)

Like I mentioned in my last message, I've got a working LVS+Heartbeat load
balancing solution set up. If I shut down heartbeat on the main box, all
the services fail over to the second box properly. Ditto if I yank the
heartbeat channels (ethernet+serial). Problem is, if I pull the external
ethernet interface on the active balancer, the services don't fail over to
the other one. This makes sense, as the boxes still see each other over
the serial heartbeat. But since the external interface is down, the world
can't reach the box.

The only solution I've thought of for this would be to write a script that
checks if it can ping an upstream IP, and if it can't, kill heartbeat.
(And restart it when it's able to ping the upstream again). With this
running on both boxes, I think I'd get the results I want.

Has anyone ever tried something like this before? What have other people
done for this case?

--
Nate Carlson <natecars@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   | Phone : (952)943-8700