Re: SV: Set hashtable size in ip_vs.h?

Subject: Re: SV: Set hashtable size in ip_vs.h?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:27:26 +0900
On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:55:20PM -0500, Joseph Mack wrote:
> Joseph Mack wrote:
> >

> > > Note that if you are running LVS as a module - which is usually
> > > advisable - then you only need to recompile the module.
> >
> > Hmm, I'd assumed that for every module you'd need to compile
> > the kernel to either look for the code in a module, elsewhere in the kernel
> > or else to know that there was no such code. So I've recompiled
> > kernels when I changed from module/kernel etc.
>
> I had a brain spasm here. What Horms is actually
> saying is that if you change the ipvs module, you only have to
> recompile the ipvs module. I thought he was saying the kernel
> didn't have to be recompiled if you wanted to load the ipvs module
> into it.

:)

To clarify.

If you want to change the hash table size for ipvs
and you are compiling ipvs as a module then you only
need to recompile and reload the ipvs module for this
change to take effect.

You do need to patch and recompile the kernel in order
to use ipvs. However it is worth observing that this
is only so that a symbol that ipvs needs to be able to
hook into netfilter is registered. The kernel does not
know or care about the code in the ipvs modules when
it is compiled. Unless you are compiling ipvs straight
into the kernel.

Well, this is the case in the 2.4 kernels. In the 2.2
kernels ipvs did a lot more patching. I am not sure
about 2.5.

--
Horms