Re: LVS cluster and bridging

Subject: Re: LVS cluster and bridging
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:32:19 -0500
Warren Volz wrote:

> Joe,
>
> > on the assumption that the traffic being LVS'ed and the traffic being
> > bridged are independant, there should be no problem doing this.
>
> That I think is where I'm sorta hung up. The function of the LVS machines
> would be to run the filtering apps on the incoming traffic from the net.
> For example, a SMTP session is passed off to one of the LVS real servers
> and then gets sent on to a machine on the local network (off of the
> firewall/switch).

You have a 3-tier system then. If you can't send from the realservers
to the 3rd-tier by regular methods, you could get yourself into a lot
of hot water this way. I wouldn't suggest it as a first choice

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA. mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx