Re: To GPL or not to GPL, that is the question ?

Subject: Re: To GPL or not to GPL, that is the question ?
Cc: "'support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm.turnbull@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 20:26:53 +0000
Peter Mueller wrote:
Hi Joe & Malcom,

Once you GPL something, it's gone. You have no control over it (which is the general idea). You only have the copyright which says that you did it. If there are legal problems, then

I'm pretty sure that the copyright owner has the right to relicense or
repurpose his work anyway he sees fit.  The catch is that he or she wouldn't
be able to un-GPL what's already out there; but at least he could make some
money off his or her own work while still contributing.

That was my understanding, the point of GPL is once the user downloads it he can do what he likes as long as he keeps to the licence. The copyright holder can re-licence later but cannot take away the rights of any previous users to sell and distribute.

Thats why comercial licences even for so called free software normaly have a 'do not distribute' clause (which means as a user you're screwed if they remove the download link).

Anyway thanks for the comments, I'll go ahead with the all GPL except the ISO method and supply source code for everything on request.

If I ever make any money I'll get a lawyer.

Note : I am not a lawyer or an expert on the GPL.  If you take what I am
spouting as legal advice then you are just silly.  If I'm wrong maybe I'll
buy you a good beer :)