Re: ldirectord problems

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ldirectord problems
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:24:26 +0900
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 02:13:00PM -0600, Chip Upsal wrote:
> I solved my own problem
>
> Directory security was set to integrated windows authentication.
> I am surprised that this setting would kill ldirectord...but it did.

Hi Chip,

I was supprised too. The problem is basically that LWP - the
perl module that ldirectord uses for HTTP requests - tries to
load modules to handle authentication at run time. Unfortunately
the way that it does this is such that it will throw a
fatal exception in some circumstances - for instance if
you have whatever IIS option you had enabled.

Obviously this is sillyness. I have a simple patch
to Ldirectord that compensates for this by masking
these signals. It also tries to be a bit more
verbose in debugging these problems. I have committed this
patch to the cvs tree. Information on obtaining
ldirectord can be found on www.vergenet.net/linux/ldirectord/

Please note that ldirectord doesn't really support
any form of authentication for web pages. It probably
could be added, but I envisage that ldirectord
will typically be used to monitor public sites.
So it seems to be a useless feature to me.
If there are people out there who need this to work,
please let me know.

--
Horms