Query on IP load balancing using direct routing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Query on IP load balancing using direct routing
From: SAMPATHKUMAR KISHORE KANIYAR <sampatki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:36:10 +0530 (IST)
  Hi,

  I am new to the LVS subscription list.

  I was going through the paper "Linux Virutal Server for Scalable
  Network Services" by Wensong Zhang maintained in the LVS homepage.
  I found the following explanation in section 3.3 titled "Linux
  Virtual Server via Direct Routing":

      "... . The load balancer and the real servers must have one of
      their interfaces physically linked by an uninterrupted segment
      of LAN such as a HUB/Switch. ..."

  Again, later on, in section 3.4 titled "Advantages and
  Disadvantages", there exists the following:

      ... [For Direct routing] ... "the load balancer and each server
      must be directly connected to one another by a single un-
      interrupted segment of a local-area network".

  Is there a scenario and/or real-life example where one does NOT
  use HUB/Switch to physically connect a network interface card?
  Under what scenarios is IP Tunnelling preferred over Direct Routing
  in LVS?

  Thanks,
  - Kishore