RE: [Fwd: Newbie question]

Subject: RE: [Fwd: Newbie question]
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:08:54 -0800
Hello Patrick,

> Hi have 2 machines and I want to cluster them:

What services do you need to cluster? Depending on your 'clustering'
requirement it might be more practical for you to not use LVS.  For example,
if you just want to failover a service when the primary dies take a look at
http://www.ultramonkey.org/ (e.g.,
http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/topologies/ha-overview.html) or
http://www.keepalived.org/
(http://keepalived.sourceforge.net/pdf/LVS-HA-using-VRRPv2.pdf).  Either
solution would work, and both have strengths and weaknesses.

> - Do I absoutely need a Linux Director server? Can't one of
> the cluster members double as the director?

This is possible but requires a bit more study and care.  I think the HOWTO
contains a few pages of information on how to do this, or you can use
Ultramonkey information @
http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/topologies/sl-ha-lb-overview.html.  Expect
to be a bit frustrated at first until you get familiar with how LVS works.

Cheers,

Peter