Firewalls loadbalancing issue

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Firewalls loadbalancing issue
From: "Guillaume Arcas" <guillaume.arcas@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:20:58 +0100 (CET)
Hi.

Seems I failed to explain my problem...
Si I try again from scratch.

With that schema :

        [local lan]

        [director]
       /          \
   [realserver1] [realserver2]
     \            /
       [internet]

and realserver1 / realserver2 being firewalls and director being local lan
default gateway and acting as loadbalancer, how can I manage to make the
loadbalancing work ?

The director hace two NICs, realservers too.

What I already tried :
- having differents lans :
    - one between local lan and director's first NIC ;
    - one beetween director's second NICs and realservers first one;
    - one between realservers and the (to the Internet) default gateway;
- I used fwmark to try to loadbalance traffic, both with gate and masq
options (in ldirectord.cf file).

Nothing work like I'd like (ie: traffic being redirected to realservers
using rr scheduler) expect loadbalancing (and that does work well) traffic
from local lan to a VIP (set on director on local lan) set as HTTP proxy
in client's browsers configuration from local lan.
I "see" traffic being makred (with iptables mangle table) and
"loadbalanced" ("ipvsadm -L) but connections just hang up.

More detailed ASCII schemas if needed, I'm getting more and more confused
for a "simple" architecture :
client -> director -> realserver -> Internet
does work (more: the HTTP proxy is in that configuration full transparent
and does not have to be declared...) if all machines (clients, director,
realserver) are on the same lan.
Note that in this latter case I just have one box per function (1
director, 1 realserver...).

Regards,

--
Guillaume Arcas

Le monde est ma représentation. S'il est une vérité
qu'on puisse affirmer, c'est bien celle-là.
A. Schopenhauer