Re: a couple of questions...

Subject: Re: a couple of questions...
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:00:19 +0900
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:18:48AM -0400, Nielsen, Steve wrote:
> First I would like to say thanks to Horms for putting together the
> ulrtamonkey package. It has made it *very* easy for me to implment
> LVS. Thanks!
>
> First question:
>
>       Is it possible to have a master multiple slave setup? For
>       example 1 master and 3 slaves for a VIP.

If you want to use the setup suggested on UltraMonkey.Org,
where heartbeat handles failover between the master and slave,
then no. To date heartbeat can only handle two nodes. That
will change in the future, but for now that is the way it is.
Of course you can have as many real servers as you like.

> Second question:
>
>       I want to investigate using the active-active setup. In order to
>       do this I need to patch the kernel using Horms supplied patch.
>       Can I use the current ultramonkey kernel source RPMs and add the
>       patch to the RPM then rebuilt it? Or do I have to download a
>       fresh kerneland patch that then build it. I would prefer the RPM
>       approach if possible.
>
> I am using the redhat 7.3 version  of ultramonkey.

Either should work. Though you may need to make some slight
modifications to the patch if it doesn't apply. I did all my
testing against a kernel.org kernel. Let me know how you go.

--
Horms