RE: Can you change the destination port in DR mode ?

Subject: RE: Can you change the destination port in DR mode ?
From: "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOUGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:31:24 +0200

Jacob Coby :
> Why is the port required when not using persistent connections in
> lvs-dr?  Maybe I'm reading the docs wrong?

It's not required. I think you're confused about the way DR is working. In
LVS-NAT, you are rewriting packets to change (nat or masq) the destination. In
LVS-DR, you just change de routing (or next hop) of the packet. The content of
the packet is not modified, it is just send to the RIP of the realserver, which
knows that it has a local destination (the VIP hosted by the lo:x interface),
and will route it.

That's why it is not obvious to rewrite the port destination inside de DR
method.

This answer is only valid if I understood the question well. In doubt, discard.

François.